The first batch of Original Jewel F looms is ready, and we know that some of you have been really, really waiting for it.
Without further ado, here is the new Jewel F loom, “Original” size, which means it works well together with other “Original” TURTLEs like the hexagon and diamond shapes. “F – fine sett” for sock/fingering yarn … American weight 1 – 2 and British weight DK with a knitting stitch gauge of 24-26 work best. Slightly thicker/thinner yarns will make beautiful denser/lacier fabrics.
This wheel sampler shows just a few examples of yarns that work very well on the new Jewel F.
Here’s a closer look at the sampler yarns:
If you miss out on the first batch of Original Jewel F looms, don’t worry, there will be more. Batch 2 is in the making and will be ready before Christmas. You can signup on Etsy to be notified when we list more, or you can contact us to get onto our list. That way you will keep your space in line and we will let you when your loom is ready.
When you get your Jewel loom, a great first project is to make some tree ornaments!
The yarn I used here is Chaos Fiber Co Christmas Time, a variegated green/red fingering weight yarn that creates a plaid-like effect while weaving.
How To Make A Tree Ornament:
- Weave two jewels on your new Original Jewel F loom (or use your Jewel R with thicker yarn).
- Sew the shapes together along the edges, leaving an opening for stuffing.
- To give the ornament more strength, insert a piece of cardboard or plastic canvas (you can find the cutting template here).
- You could also bend into shape or weave a fairy light chain, which will ad a romantic lighting to your ornament. Or use any stuffing of your choice for a more 3D effect.
- Add a hanger.
- Embellish with anything you like: Bows, bells, garlands, or embroider a name or a date.