Gong Xi Fa Cai, and it’s the year of the rat …
When I learned that the new lunar year is the year of the rat, I could not resist to weave up a quick project.
I had made some mice as accessory to our October Gnome of the Month a couple of years ago, and … if you use the same mouse pattern and a TexaTURTLE loom … you get a rat!
Here are the instructions:
You will need about 15 yards of worsted weight yarn, I used Berroco Mercado in 4103 Playa to get the authentic, natural look, or use any yarn and color of your liking.
– (1) TexaTURTLE hexagon for the body
- Fold the hexagon in half and sew along the edges as shown on the photo, leaving an opening for stuffing.
- For the ear, when you get to A, secure the thread (make an extra stitch). Sew straight stitches to B, pull in a little bit to form the ears, then secure once more. Sew towards the end, but leave a small opening for stuffing.
- For the eyes, install two (10mm) security eyes or – after finishing the rat – embroider two French Knots.
- Stuff slightly, then close completely.
- With a double strand of yarn, crochet about 20 chain stitches onto the rear end of the rat, as a tail.
- The rat will measure about 6.5″ from nose to rear, without the tail.
Best wishes for a wonderful year!